Hello from the Swim Heron Team! We do hope you are well and keeping safe!
WE WILL BE OPENING FOR SWIMMING ON MONDAY 1ST JUNE 2020.
The recent changes in advice and guidance, together with our new operating procedures mean we are now able to welcome swimmers again. We have had to make significant temporary changes. These changes, although strict, are necessary and following them will allow us to remain open and for you to swim safely. Our operation will restrict numbers and require swimmers to ‘swim and leave’ as we must ensure the safety of our staff and fellow swimmers.
We would ask you to please read through the following notes thoroughly to familiarise yourself with how we will operate.
- Restrictions and new procedures
- What you will need to do before you come swimming and cost
- What to expect when you get here
- Considerations before you decide to swim
- Check list
If at the end, you have any questions, please have another look through to check that the answer is not on here before sending us a message or email. email@example.com
Restrictions and new procedures
Our opening times will be:
Monday – 16.30 -20.00 (last slot 19.10)
Wednesday – 16.30 -20.00 (last slot 19.10)
Saturday – 06.30-10.00 (last slot 09.10)
Sunday – 06.30-10.00 (last slot 09.10)
We must limit the numbers of swimmers to avoid gatherings at the lake and to help observe social distancing.
We are therefore temporarily introducing a compulsory online swim booking and paying system, with time specific slots.
- These numbers might be increased or decreased as guidance changes and as we see fit depending how it works in practice
- Online bookings will be open soon and we will advise.
- Time Slots will be every 10 minutes with 8 places available per slot, for example, on Mondays, 16.30, 16.40, 16.50 up until 50 minutes before the end of the session.
- Max time in the water will be 50 minutes (or until closing time if there is less than 50 minutes remaining.
- The 10 minutes give you time to scan in and enter the water before the next “wave” of swimmers arrive.
- Please always adhere to social distancing measures, including whilst acclimatising to the water and swimming.
- Please do not enter the water until the person in front has moved away from the jetty
- If you have booked a specific time slot this is the only time you will be able to enter the water.
- There will be no refunds if you are unable to come to the session on time.
- Arrive with time to get changed or ready to swim and leave your belongings in your car.
- Please stay in or by your vehicle until your allotted time slot
- After your swim please check out and leave as soon as possible.
We are unable to open our indoor changing rooms, showers or club house to swimmers – therefore changing before and after you swim will be by your car/bike, whatever the weather.
- We will also ask you to keep all your belongings in your car (not on the lawn / picnic tables) The only items allowed by the water’s edge are shoes, keys and towel/robe which should be placed in the designated place.
- The toilets should only be used when necessary and accessed from the rear of the club house with a “one-in / one out” restriction. Please wash hands with soap/sanitiser thoroughly before/after. DO NOT USE THE SHOWER IN THAT AREA AS WE HAVE ONE TOILET ONLY IN OPERATION.
- Signage will be in place for the one-way scan in and out procedure and separate entry and exit routes to and from the water. Please familiarise yourself with the new layout.
- As all swims will have to be pre-booked and pre-paid, there will be no personal contact necessary once you get to the lake. Scanning in and out is compulsory and contactless.
STICKING TO THE RULES
- We will be strict about our procedures. They are there to protect everyone and to make people feel safe when visiting Swim Heron.
- DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ATTEND IF YOU ARE FEELING UNWELL OR HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS RELATED TO COVID-19 , DO LET US KNOW (so we can cancel your swim for you) AND DO NOT BOOK ANOTHER SESSIONS FOR AT LEAST TWO WEEKS OR UNTIL YOU ARE WELL AGAIN. PLEASE TALK TO YOUR GP BEFORE RESUMING PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.
SOCIAL DISTANCING – CONTACTLESS – PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS – STAY SAFE – STAY WITHIN YOUR LIMITS
Please do not travel long distances to come to Swim Heron- stay local
GETTING READY FOR YOUR VISIT
You will need to register with NOWCA
- Once you are registered for a NOWCA wristband, you can start booking swims even if you do not have a band yet!
- You will need to download the ACTiO app to book your swim slot. Please ensure you can log into your ACTiO app so that you are ready to book ahead of the slots being released.
- Swim slots will appear on the App under Swim Heron activities. It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the App before bookings go live.
- We are sorry but the technology doesn’t allow to book swims for more than one person at a time – if you are planning on swimming with some of your family, try and access the booking system at the same time. – If you experience any problems with your NOWCA account, please contact NOWCA directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) as we will not be able to help. This is third party technology that we are using, it is not our own system.
- Our prices have increased a little as they now include the booking fee from the app, (this is money we pay to use the system.) plus additional costs.
This is what the ACTIO app looks like
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE LAKE
The entrance to site is the same as previously. Park considerately. If there is a marshal, please follow instructions. PLEASE DO NOT PARK IN THE DISABLED BAYS UNLESS YOU ARE DIRECTED.
• Get changed by your car, leave all your belongings in your car. Only your car key, shoes and towel can be left in a designated location by the water entry/exit where you can pick them up from at the end of your swim.
• Walk to the Entrance area signposted SWIM IN to scan in / collect your new wristband and look at safety information on the board (especially if you are new to the water / open water). Always leave 2m between you and the person in front of you. Follow the marked path to the (Normal) swim entry.
• Put a bright swim hat on and wear your tow float! These are compulsory so the safety team can always spot you and you can use your tow float to rest in the water should you need to. You will not be allowed into the water without bright hat and tow floats and we will not be able to allow kit exchange or loans.
• Enter the water from the designated point from the jetty at your own pace but also keep going as other swimmers will wait for you to move on before they enter.
WE ARE USING THE 500M LOOP ONLY BUT WILL REVIEW THIS WHEN WE KNOW EVERYTHING IS OPERATING SMOOTHLY AND SAFELY. When you have rounded the last buoy if you wish to continue (and you have enough time) swim to buoy one (as previously). If you wish to leave the lake swim between the red buoys immediately to your right and head for the steps to the right of the ramp.
• Exit the water at the end of your swim from the steps to the right of the ramp (Opposite ramp to entry). Follow the one-way system to the Scan out point.
Return to your car to get changed and leave the premises as soon as you are ready.
Enjoy your swim and be considerate of other swimmers. Always leave 2 m between you and other swimmers.
• If you are fast and skilled, use your skills and judgement to pass others wide and please reduce your kick, give others space, do not cut people off. The lake is large and there is space for everyone to stay socially distanced by AT LEAST 2m and enjoy swimming at their own pace.
• Do not stop or gather by the buoys and if you need to stop, please avoid becoming an obstacle.
• If at any time you are in trouble, feel anxious or panic, put yourself on your back to float or take a rest holding your tow float and wave your arms or call to attract the attention of the safety team in kayaks or watching from the pontoon
- someone will come over to check but will stay at a safe distance to respect your safety.
- we ask that you offer them the same privilege. They are there to keep you safe, but we want them to be safe too. They will only approach closer if there was an emergency and risk to life.
• In order to respect the safety of our team, we ask you to swim within your limits. Remember that you have not swum indoors or outdoors for a while. Take it easy and enjoy being back in the water. ALWAYS COME OUT FEELING LIKE YOU COULD HAVE DONE MORE
• This is not the right time to try new things – if you have never swum in open water, this is not the right time to start. Wait until you can come with someone experienced or a coach. We will not be able to offer our usual “accompanied first swim service”
• Do not forget to scan out when you have finished your swim and come back soon.
• We will not be able to allow spectators for the time being.
For the time being we will not be able to allow under 16s to swim at the lake
TOW FLOATS ARE COMPULSORY FOR ALL SWIMMERS THIS SEASON
**Limited stock of Tow floats available for sale from the lake so please message us to reserve one.
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCEPT SWIMMERS ON SITE WHO HAVE NOT PRE-BOOKED THEIR SWIM SLOT. IF YOU HAVE NOT BOOKED A SWIM SLOT, PLEASE DO NOT COME DOWN TO THE LAKE AS WE WILL NOT BE MAKING EXCEPTIONS.
- REGISTER for / renew your wristband on NOWCA.org if needed
- Download the ACTiO App and ensure you can sign in
- BOOK your swim slot on the ACTIO App
- BRING your wristband or pick it up
- BRING your bright swim cap
- BRING your tow float
- BE on time
- SCAN IN for your swim
- SCAN OUT at the end of your swim
- ENJOY – BE CONSIDERATE – BE SAFE – KEEP 2m from everyone
- PRACTICE ZIPPING YOUR WETSUIT UP BY YOURSELF! 😊