Jo from Tri50, will again be offering a range of swim coaching services at Heron Lake this season. Jo has been coaching swimming, and triathlon, for 36 years and brings with her a wealth of experience. From introducing tiny tots to the water, to adults wishing to experience Open Water in the Autumn of their years.
She especially enjoys working with nervous and apprehensive adults who are totally new to open water and have a real fear of the transition from swimming pool to the murky waters of lakes, reservoirs, rivers, and rough seas. Working at a swimmer’s own pace and putting him/her at ease straight away, without forcing them into uncomfortable situations too quickly is also one of her strong qualities .
Jo is well renowned for her unending patience, listening skills and gentle encouragement, combined with a sense of humour, to transforming swimmers who thought they would never take to open water – many have gone on to successfully train for long open water endurance events, knowing that their stroke technique has been corrected, and the necessary open water skills relentlessly practised, under her experienced and watchful eye.
Jo still competes herself at International level in Triathlon, Aquabike, and Aquathlon, and shares her many years of competing with her swimmers – there aren’t many difficult open water situations Jo hasn’t been faced with, and she uses her experience to assist others. Infact, Jo now gets more fulfilment from seeing her athletes overcome their fears and achieve their personal goals, than she does from travelling to far flung places to compete herself.
Her most recent sporting accolade is winning a Bronze Medal in the debut World Aquabike Championships held in Pentincton, Canada, last August – long course distance of a 3km swim followed by 125kms cycle. She still likes to prove to herself that she can still train and race!
Jo is a BTF Level 3 Triathlon Coach,
an ASA Swim Coach, NOWCA qualified
and also First Aid qualified.
SWIM COACHING AT SWIM HERON 2023
The following are available through Jo Lewis, a qualified and experienced BTF Level 3 Triathlon Coach and ASA Swim Coach of 37 years!
Now in her 6th Year at Swim Heron
MONDAY AND WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS/EARLY EVENING
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY MORNINGS 7.45 am
- Total Beginners Group Session – Saturday 3rd June, 7.45 am – Take your first dip into Open Water and learn all the safety aspects, correct wetsuit fit, breathing mechanics, sighting, fitness element, and ways to progress. Confidence gained too…..!
- 1-2-1/1-2-2 Coaching, or small groups, from total Beginner through to GB Age Group, covering all aspects of Triathlon/Ironman and Open Water/Wild Swimming distances.
- Juniors/teenagers wishing to transfer from the Club pool environment to the challenges of open water – Individual or a group session. Geared also to those competing in the Youth Open Water Championships later in the season.
- Women’s Only group sessions, Wednesday 7th June/Wednesday 5th July, 5.30 pm –suited to ALL ages and abilities – One just for the ladies who just wanna have fun!
- Individuals with fear of open water – a gentle and empathetic 1-2-1 approach. Can also facilitate a small group of you, if this is your preference.
- Royal Windsor Triathlon – Group session Sunday 4th June, 7.45 am. Prepare for river swim, mass starts, group swimming. Jo has competed in this a few times.
- Experienced and competitive swimmers wishing to perfect their open water stroke + mass starts, pace judgement, race tactics, confidence.
- Build up lost confidence – and have Jo swim alongside you, who loves every open water experience.
- Individuals who are struggling with Mental Health issues – a 30 mins water session may just be the answer to help you overcome Anxiety and Fears – Tel Jo for more information.